State Senator Ruben Diaz, Sr.’s Bizarre 2013 Wish List
Bronx State Senator Ruben Diaz (D-SD38) is a rather conservative fellow, and is the last unjailed member of the “Gang of Four” senators who were deeply involved with the Tom Golisano/Steve Pigeon 2008 state senate coup, which overthrew a duly elected senate Democratic majority. He is otherwise known for his unflinching opposition to same-sex marriage; an opposition he enhances with flourishes of hatred.
Today, Senator Diaz released the following “wish list”, entitled “What You Should Know“. Even in the truly bizarre and dysfunctional world of Albany politics, it stands out as being an especially bitchy and passive-aggressive attempt at humor.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
By Senator Rev. Rubén Díaz
32nd Senatorial District, Bronx County, New York
My Top Ten Wishes for 2013
You should know that every year, many people wait for the coming of the New Year, celebrating with friends and family and wishing for different things.
For example, thousands and thousands will make their way to Times Square to wait for the ball to drop. Others will go to different fiestas to dance the night away.
During the past 45 years, I have gone to church to ring in the New Year. Before 12 midnight, we all go down on our knees and wait for the New Year to arrive, making our wishes and resolutions for the next year. After midnight, the traditional first meal of the year is shared in the temple.
This year on December 31st, when I bend my knees in church and make my New Year’s resolutions, you should know that I will be making the following political wishes for some people:
1. For Senator John Sampson, to find better and more faithful friends.
2. For reporters Bob Kappstatter, from the Bronx Times and Jim Odato from the Times Union, to learn how to be impartial and objective journalists.
3. For Senator Jeff Klein and his Gang of Four, to find a parachute to allow them to make their landing easy and soft when Senator Dean Skelos and the Republicans – fearing the Conservative Party – reject their support for a progressive agenda, leaving the Gang of Four out in the cold.
4. For Senator Malcolm Smith, to find another minority to join him in order for him not to be the only Uncle Tom in the house.
5. For Assemblyman-Elect Luis Sepulveda, to take it a little bit easier with a little more patience and wait for his time, because it will come.
6. For my three friends, Carl Kruger, Pedro Espada, and Hiram Monserrate, to try to get together in 2013 while they are away and write a book instructing Jeff Klein and the Gang of Four how to deal with Dean Skelos and what to expect from him.
7. To Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins, to buy a back-stabbing proof vest.
8. For Senator Adriano Espaillat, to get a big handkerchief to wipe away his saliva because Charlie Rangel will be there for many years more – and aside from that, Adam Clayton Powell is warming up in the bullpen.
9. For Governor Andrew Cuomo, to be honest enough to admit that he has been the creator of the mess in the New York State Senate.
10. As for myself, should these nine other wishes come true, that I will be able to take a break and keep my mouth shut.
This is Senator Reverend Rubén Díaz and this is what you should know. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!